8.30.2010

Relief Society Dinners

A good friend had a little baby girl last week (the first of many to come--our ward is full of round tummies at the moment). And what do all new mommies and their poor unskilled husbands need? Meals.
The casserole. King of the post-baby Relief Society meals.
Shown here (uncharacteristically) without any strange additions such as peas or tuna fish

When my friends have babies, I bring them dinner. Sometimes more than once. Because the last thing a new mom wants to do is drag herself off the couch and whip up something for dinner. Believe me, I remember. Besides, it's a grand excuse to get into their house and hold the new baby.

I had kind of a strange experience on Sunday. The Relief Society Compassionate Service Leader (who is another good friend) cornered me in the hallway at church--literally--and asked if I would bring Krystal dinner.

I had strangely mixed emotions about putting my name on that list. Absolutely, yes, I want to bring Krystal dinner. And, absolutely, yes, I think the Relief Society should help new moms with meals (and I can say that from experience, as I was somehow forgotten after I had Seth. Still bothers me a little bit). But I really like bringing meals because I am someone's friend, not because I was assigned to. I have no problem being assigned meals to people I don't know as well, but my good friends? I find that strange.

But I put my name down and got my assigned day (Tuesday). And I'm going to bring them something besides macaroni and cheese, which is apparently what they've been surviving off of. But I'm not doing it because I was assigned to. I'm doing it because I want to.

Maybe I'll bring another meal in later to make up for my weird sense of guilt...

1 comment:

Sommer said...

You are so good Megan! I still remember when you brought me a meal last September after our loss, just because you wanted to and cared. It meant so much to us. I feel so lucky to have you as a friend. Yeah and I don't blame you for being bothered about being forgotten last time, that would really bother me too. It won't happen this time around though, we'll make sure of it ;)