10.01.2010

Thoughts on an Inconclusive Ultrasound

I have several crazy friends who have decided not to find out the gender of their babies at the 20 week ultrasound. They like the idea of being surprised in the delivery room. You know, how it's always been done before about 30 years ago...

I have no desire to be surprised. I figure you can either be surprised at 20 weeks or surprised at 40. Why not be able to do some planning in advance? Besides, with Seth we needed those 20 weeks to come up with a name we agreed on.

We had every intention of finding out the gender of this baby last Friday. Any time those little legs came into view, all three of us (me, Jon & the tech) were peering intently at the monitor trying to see if there was anything to see.

Nothing doing. Despite a sugary breakfast and three laps around the office mid-ultrasound, that baby would not budge.

Luckily for us, the stubbornness was not just limited to gender discerning. The tech told us she didn't get almost half of the measurements she needed. "You'll be back," she said as we walked out.

My first phone call as we walked out of the office was to my mom, then my dad, followed by a massive text to various sisters, friends and relatives who were waiting anxiously for the news.

Several of them were really worried about me--was I okay? Did I need an ice cream date? (thanks, Sommer!)

But the funny part is, I wasn't really upset. There was no sadness--just a sort of funny frustration. Like when your kid is doing something you don't want them to, but they're so funny that you can't help laughing at at them. That's all I could think to myself. "You little stinker!"

Good news is that we will be going back--next Friday (the 8th) to be exact. At 10:00 am. Cross your fingers for us!

Here's what we did get:Little stubborn baby


Little nose and lips


A foot



Little toes


A little wave 'hello'

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I love his/her little "wave." It is almost as if he/she is taunting you. How cute! Good luck next week!!! We will be crossing our fingers for you.

Adrian said...

Those are some really great photos. Even if you didn't get the one you really wanted!

Jen Bowen said...

I love the toes picture. I think I'm a little obsessed with baby feet.