10.03.2010

Compusive Reading

(Image from thecompulsivereader.com)

When I was in elementary and middle school, I both loved and dreaded the day the book orders would come in. Loved it because, of course, I was excited for new things to read. Dreaded it because it involved me juggling a huge box of books through the hallways and onto the bus. Yes, you read that right--a BOX of books. Every time.

Obviously, my parents are awesome. It's not cheap to keep up with a reading habit like mine, but they did it, figuring it would pay off in the end (I hope it did!). They probably would have killed to live someplace with a library bigger than a bedroom, but North Logan, Utah wasn't the kind of place to have a massive library. Or even a decent one.

I have read every book in my parents' house, with the exception of Beth's vampire stories, Marah's Mormon chick-lit, Kenna's 'true crime' books, and my dad's Clive Cussler-type books. Those just have no appeal to me. I have read every book in our house with the exception of Jon's ChemE textbooks and an autobiography of Khrushchev I gave him as a joke (he hasn't read it either). I read my old college literature anthologies for fun.

Being a compulsive reader definitely has its perks, especially when it comes to academics. I always scored ridiculously high on the language/reading sections of standardized tests. I also had knowledge on a wide array of subjects that I would have never gained in school (I went through a long historical fiction phase followed by a long Holocaust literature phase in middle school. Oh, and a Communism phase about 6 months ago).

But it also has its dark underside. I'm not joking when I say I am a compulsive reader. If there is something to read, I have to read it. I'm the sort of person who actually reads the quotes people hang on their walls. And I know what books are on their shelves.

The worst is when I'm bored and there is nothing decent to read around. I have spent more time that anyone should reading every piece of writing on cereal boxes while eating breakfast or toothpaste boxes while brushing my teeth. I am not the type of person who can just enjoy not doing anything--I need to read.

My mom used to hide my books so I would do my homework/go to bed at a godly hour. Jon will take my books away at night or just turn off the bedroom light on me. Otherwise I have absolutely no self control. I hate watching the news on TV because I get motion sickness from trying to read all the information that gets splashed across the screen. But I can't stop myself! I have to know what it says!

Bless you people who keep something to read in your bathrooms. And forgive me if I disappear in there for longer than is proper--I probably just got sucked in by your three-year-old Reader's Digest. I can't help myself.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Sometimes when I am sitting in the bathroom while my kids are in the bath, I read the diaper wipes package.

Kellie said...

Almost every time I read your journal entries, I know why we're such great friends! Who else would know the active ingredient of the lotion or how Lucky the Leprechaun escaped?

Dawn said...

You don't know what is on my shelf because its hidden from you. ;)

Have you thought of getting an E-book reader? You probably won't be able to get enough free books to make you happy, but i got a Nook and really like it!

P.S. I grew up with a step-mom who was just like you in the book department.