6.30.2011

Our New Normal

Catherine is 4 1/2 months old now, and I frequently find myself wondering when will our life go back to normal. When will we actually have time to just relax instead of feeling like there is always some project hanging over our head?  When will we actually have time in the evenings to ourselves, without a little baby hanging out with us?  When will I have time to shower regularly again?

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that maybe THIS is the new normal.  It's hard for me to accept that--I have so many things I feel like I need to do, but have no time to do them.  I think I'm still trying to fit my two-child reality into my one-child schedule. And it doesn't work very well.

So I guess what I really need to do is cut back on the alleged 'extras'.  But what are they?  Piano lessons?  That's my adult interaction and Seth's friend interaction for the week.  Cake decorating?  My creative outlet.  Scrapbooking (just to be clear--my idea of scrapbooking involves sticking pictures on paper and writing what is happening.  That's it.)?  Well, that's our family history--I'm supposed to do that, right?

And people wonder why I don't leave the house.  I don't need to--I have enough going on here to keep me busy for years!

5 comments:

Kellie said...

You're right -- this is the "new normal." But you do get used to it. And things do get better. At least that's what happened to us when Ian was born, and I'm holding out hope it will happen again!

HeavenlyHome said...

I hear' ya, girl! But we LOVE it!!!

Dawn said...

A few thoughts Megan...
4 mo is still the really intense stage. This is your new normal, for now, but things will get easier (and in some ways harder too! Its always an adventure.) Some things you might have to put on hold or lower your standards or expectations. But it won't always be like this.

My second thought is to read this over and over again. One of my favorite talks
http://lds.org/general-conference/2008/04/daughters-of-god?lang=eng

Third, learn to do your stuff with your kids. As they grow, find ways to have them close by, involving them if possible, while you do your things. You will find it is a joy and toddlers especially love this. (it isn't always a job, but can be sometimes.) I used to think I couldn't do xyz until Garrett took a nap, now with Tristan I'm learning to do as much as I can with him right along side of me.

Fourth- look at your schedule in a critical way and see if you can tweak things a bit. I was feeling really strung out with all those service appointments I was taking Garrett too this school year. I finally changed all of his appointments (as much as I could) to Monday- I found having one, long, crazy day was better then lots of little appointments all through the week. Your solutions might be to limiting the amount of cakes you make per month or the # of students you teach.

Fifth- find ways to meet your needs while you meet baby's needs. I'm sure people think I'm crazy for the fact that I enjoy laying down with my baby to nurse him to sleep for pretty much every nap\night time. It works for us. He gets his needs meet. I get to relax, read my Nook. I love it. We are both winning in this situation.

As far as hubby time goes- I'm probably not the best for this advice as I find having a little baby with me to not effect my time with my husband too much (except for when they are colicky.) I have found now that Tristan is older, on Sat mornings its a real treat because Garrett and Tristan go downstairs and eat pop corn and watch Kipper or some other tv show, as soon as they get up. It gives Brian and I time to cuddle and relax together. The kids think they are getting a special treat. Although I have the added bonus of big brother being so much older he kind of keeps tabs on Tristan.

And lastly, remember "people before things."

You should have come to LLL last month. We talked about this stuff. ;)

Dawn said...

p.s. I have always thought that at 18 mo. was when things felt easier.

Anonymous said...

hi - re your " arco post" the other day please pm and i will definatley get back in touch try this link see if there the same
regards
jamie dentims