11.03.2010

Mental Preparation


It's officially been two years since I've been the 2nd Counselor in Young Women.

My first October/November/December was just a blur--a total blur. I had no idea what was going on and what I was doing. I remember it being insane, but I figured it was just because I was new and still adjusting.

The next October/November/December was awful. That was when I realized that, hey, this constant chaos happens EVERY year!

This October/November/December are no less busy, but I'm not posting blog rants about how much time I spend at the church or crying to Jon that I never get to see him. It's amazing what a little mental preparation can do for your attitude. Mutual Tuesday night, presidency meeting Wednesday, Stake meeting Thursday? No problem. I was totally expecting this. Surprise Leadership Training the following Saturday? Sure. Whatever. Coordinating 20+ girls with varying degrees of musical talent to sing a multi-part Christmas song? Why not? Seems crazy when considered all at once, but I don't feel overwhelmed this year. Counting my blessings, for sure.

I think the biggest relief is that I KNOW this insanity ends in January. If I had to keep up this pace all year, I would have burned out a year ago.

Of course we start all over again in February with the Girls' Camp Fundraiser, but I'm not going to think about that right now. It will just stress me out.

OH WAIT! No it won't! I'll be out of commission with a newborn. Excellent timing, Megan. (Pats self on the back).

4 comments:

Adrian said...

If you think that being out of commission with a newborn second child will be less stressful than the Girls' Camp Fundraiser... it must be SOME fundraiser! :)

Alicia said...

Good timing for sure. My sister-in-law is the YW president and she was conveniently out of commission for six weeks. She figured if the doctor clears her at six weeks to go back to "normal activity" then YW could wait those six weeks too. She took all six weeks and stayed home. :) I say go for it!

Dawn said...

I'm happy the mental preparation has acted like a buffer this year. Are you seriously well over half way through this pregnancy already??? Well that is what happens when I don't know about it for like 15 weeks to start with. ;)

AZ Mikesells said...

Amen to all all above. As for the February "perfect timing" - NOT SO GREAT FOR GRANDMA CATHY. Baby will be 6 weeks old before I see her. (Can you see my pouting face???)